Late May 2022 – 10 December 2023
Manawa Wetland, 6 Margan Avenue, New Lynn
Why is the project needed?
The New Lynn pump station is an integral part of our water network. It takes water from both western water sources (Huia and Waitākere), and southern water sources (Hunua and Waikato), and pumps water into west, central and northern Auckland. As it takes water from a number of sources, it provides for resilience in the networks – so if any of our water sources go off-line, we can continue to supply water to areas both locally and across Auckland.
The upgrades to the pump station include replacing/moving the underground switch boards to above ground, expanding the current building, and installing an additional pump. This will increase the water supply from the pump station, provide resilience, and caters for the growing population.
Our contractor, Pipeline and Civil started work in late May 2022. We estimate the project will be completed by by approximately 10 December, 2023.
Works are progressing well including:
- We have now started the new pump installation.
- Transferred one pump and instrumentation to the new electrical control system.
- Commissioned all electrical equipment.
- Started electrical repair works.
As part of our consent condition for the project, we have placed site fencing of 3 metres around the site to help minimise noise for the neighbourhood during construction.
The upgrades will involve:
- An additional pump installed in the underground portion of the pump station
- A new replacement switch room moved from the underground part of the pump station to above ground
- Replace the existing transformer with two new and higher rating transformers.
The upgrades will mean opening up the roof of the underground portion of the pump station for access and permanently expanding the current above ground part of the pump station to cater for the new switch room. The new part of the building will be constructed with the same façade as the current pump station.
How will this work affect you?
- Working hours are 7am to 6pm from Monday to Friday, and 8am to 6pm on Saturday.
- The works will generate some construction related noise; however, levels will be kept to a minimum and in accordance with the levels approved by Auckland Council. A noise wall has been installed to help minimise noise from the site for residents and park users.
- There will be an increase in work vehicles and equipment at the site during the work.
- Access to the park will be maintained at all times, however some of the park will be temporarily closed around the construction area. The site will be fenced for public safety. Please stay clear of the construction site and beware of construction vehicles entering and exiting the site.
- To undertake the works, we have removed one native Kowhai tree. Once the works are completed we will plant two native trees similar to Kowhai to replace the tree removed. We will take measures to protect other trees near the worksite during the works.
- At the end of the works, we will reinstate the park to the same or better condition than prior to the works taking place.
Please email us at: [email protected]
To sign up for updates, click here
New Lynn Pump Station water upgrades: Project newsletter March 2022.