Start-finish: October 2018 - 2020
Location: 108 Runciman Road – corner of Runciman and Rutherford Roads, Pukekohe East
Status: Construction of reservoir 1: Late 2018-2020
Read the latest Stuff article about the giant concrete pour for the first reservoir.
In October 2018, we started building a new water reservoir at 108 Runciman Road, Pukekohe East. Reservoirs are built to store water, to ensure there is enough for Aucklanders to consume. In order to meet population growth and make sure there is enough water, we will build the first of two reservoirs during the next two years. The second reservoir will be built when needed to meet demand. To ensure the reservoirs blend into the natural environment, advance planting has been done and we will do further landscaping and planting following the construction.
Runciman Road traffic management
To enable the commissioning of the reservoir, we will be doing some work outside 57 Runciman Road to allow access for project construction. The work will start the week of 10 June 2019, subject to weather, and will take approximately one week to complete. There will be stop-go traffic management in place to allow these works to be carried out safely. Please follow all traffic management and construction signs. Working hours will be Monday to Friday, 7.30am to 5pm. We will need to undertake further works to complete pipe connections at two locations along Runciman Road at a later date. Updates will be provided in advance of this.
So far, we have:
- Completed bulk excavation and raft foundation underneath reservoir 1 & 2
- Poured concrete on the reservoir floor: Slab Quarter A, B, C & D
- Finished stressing of floor slab: Quarter A, B, C & D
- Installed outlet pipework underneath the central valve chamber and concrete encased
- Completed excavation and construction of the central valve chamber
- Excavated and stabilised access road from Rutherford
- Installed all wall panels Quarter A, B & C
- Installed inlet, outlet, transfer, overflow and scour pipe underneath the reservoir
- Finished the outlet pipeline installation
- Finished wall stitches Quarter A & B
In the next two weeks, we will:
- Continue wall stitches in Quarter C
- Install pilasters in Quarter A & B
- Pour last stitch floor
Noisy operations or night works will be:
Upcoming milestones - we plan to:
- Nothing is currently programmed
- Complete the wall panel installation
- Complete the stressing of the walls
- Complete roof precast installation
- Water testing
Preliminary work on reservoir 2 is being carried out now. This is for project efficiencies and to minimise disruption during construction at a later date. The site will be restored until it is required in the future.
Extent of works
Excavation outlet pipeline
Watercare and our subcontractor Guaranteed Flow Systems have started the next phase - the location of services and reconnection to the existing watermain. Traffic management continues to be in place and we ask that you take care passing this area.
The crew have completed the majority of the significant pipe laying work in the south and have now moved to the north site close to the existing balancing tank area. All works are weather dependent.
During these works there will be noise, vibration and dust, however, we will endeavour to keep disruption to a minimum by using best practice techniques. If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to call or ask one of the friendly site team. These works are expected to take 12 weeks. We appreciate your patience during this time.
What are the benefits?
The new reservoirs will:
- Cater for increased water demand as the region’s population grows
- Help us maintain a secure supply of water
- Allow us to continue maintaining other parts of the water network
Newsletter (October 2018)
Newsletter (February 2016)
Newsletter (September 2015)