First stage of the project
October 2021 –2024
Redoubt Road and Mill Road, Manukau
Tamaki Makaurau is predicted to grow by 700,00 to 1 million people over the next thirty years, and with it the demand for water will increase. While we are actively working on bringing on water sources to make Auckland’s water supply more resilient, we also need to increase our treated water storage capacity.
The Redoubt Road Reservoir site currently has two large reservoirs holding 120 million litres. The addition of a third reservoir, able to hold 45 million litres, will help future-proof Auckland’s water supply and cater for the region’s growth.
Watch our progress
The construction of the Redoubt Road reservoir expansion is well underway. The enormity of the work being undertaken is captured on the timelapse footage which shows the enabling works moving and shifting earthwork stage of the programme.
With over 80% of Auckland’s daily treated water supply passing through the site each day, this is an important part of the water infrastructure network.
While the site can accommodate up to eight reservoirs, there are currently two reservoirs operating on site. The addition of a third reservoir will increase the site’s total water storage capacity to 165 million litres. This will help buffer variations in water demand and create resilience in the event of any possible network disruption.
The design walkthrough video offers the opportunity for you to explore the site and shows the enabling earthworks being undertaken by our construction partner, Fulton Hogan.
Growing demand on the water supply requires the expansion of the existing Redoubt Road Reservoir complex by constructing an additional water storage reservoir. The expansion project currently involves the construction and connection of a new reservoir and the establishment of an access road off Mill Road. The project will be completed in two stages:
- Stage One - Oct 2021-mid 2022: Earthworks to establish an additional access road off Mill Road, Manukau (see red line on map below)
- Stage Two - mid 2022-2024: Construction of additional water storage reservoir (green shaded box on the map below)
How will it affect you?
- Working hours will be between 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 5pm on Saturdays.
- You may notice an increase in truck movements, particularly on Mill Road.
- Temporary traffic management will be in place around work areas for the safety of motorists, pedestrians, and construction staff while the new entrance off Mill Road is constructed. A reduced speed limit of 50km/hr on a 370m section of Mill Road will be in place for the duration of the project.
- Public access to the site around the reservoirs is restricted to ensure the health and safety of the public, Watercare’s team and the contractors.
If you have any questions regarding this project, please contact us at [email protected]
Redoubt Road Reservoir project overview May 2022