Glossary

Transmission pipe

Transmission pipe
Our transmission and retail pipes carry water or wastewater in the public network. A transmission pipe is a major pipe (usually 300 mm or more in diameter, and a retail pipe (usually less than 300 mm in diameter) is local – similar to arterial roads and side roads. See also retail pipe.

Turbidity

Turbidity
A measure of the ‘cloudiness’ of water. This is caused by fine suspended material or particles in the water. See also NTU.

Utility

Utility
A service provided to the public such as power, water, phone.

Vendor

Vendor
A person or company offering products or services for sale.

Volumetric charge

Volumetric charge
The fees we charge for the amount of water you use or wastewater you generate, as measured by your water meter. We charge per kilolitre (1,000 litres).

Wastewater

Wastewater
Also known as sewage. Liquid waste (and liquids containing waste solids) including water from the shower, kitchen, laundry, toilet waste, grey water, trade waste and gross solids.

Wastewater network

Wastewater network
All pipes, pump stations and other assets (excluding the private network) used to collect wastewater.

Wastewater percentage (domestic charges)

Wastewater percentage (domestic charges)
We calculate wastewater volume at 78.5% of the water that comes through your meter. This assumes that, on average, 78.5% of the water you use goes down the drain and into our wastewater pipes via the sink, dishwasher, washing machine, shower, bath, toilet etc. The remaining 21.5% typically goes on watering the garden, washing the car, etc.

Wastewater pressure pipe

Wastewater pressure pipe
A public wastewater pipe that moves sewage from a low-lying area to higher area by pressure from pumping. (Most of our wastewater pipes carry sewage by gravity.)

Water meter

Water meter
The device used for measuring the volume of water supplied to your property.