I'm a

Tono kōrero mana motuhake

Official information request (OIA)

Helpful information for making Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act (LGOIMA) requests.

Thinking about making a LGOIMA request?

Send your request to the right person

We have lots of different channels for you to contact us.

Making your request through the incorrect channel can contribute to delays, as your request will need to be formally transferred to the correct person. Transfers can take up to seven working days to be finalised and your request is not able to be progressed further until the transfer has been completed.

If you are a student conducting research, please complete an online enquiry form.

The information you are interested in may already be publicly available

Often information that is requested can be found in public domain or records. You can find proactively released information through various sources such as annual reports, water quality reports, our customer contract, board meeting papers, and media statements.

Do we hold the information?

We operate Auckland’s water and wastewater (sewerage) systems and Auckland Council operates Auckland’s stormwater system. If your enquiry relates solely to stormwater, it should be directed to Auckland Council.

Making a request

If the information you are interested in is not available on this website then you should send us a request for information under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, by emailing [email protected]

Please be as specific as possible as it helps us find the information quicker. If we are unclear about the scope or nature of your request, we will contact you to discuss it. If your request is complex, it may require staff to research internal documents and records.


We will provide you with a decision on your request for information as soon as possible but no later than 20 working days after receiving it.

We will also let you know as soon as possible if:

  • we need to extend the deadline for your request
  • we need more information from you, we may treat a clarified request as a new request for the purpose of calculating the maximum statutory timeframe for response
  • we need to transfer your request to another government or local government organisation.

You can ask us to treat your request as urgent. If this is the case, you must provide us with reasons when you make the request. One of our team will advise you on what is possible.

Withholding information

If we withhold or refuse to give information, we will explain the reasons for doing so, as set out in the:


Lodging a request for information is generally free. However, we may make a reasonable charge for fulfilling the request for information that we agree to provide you (e.g. if the request involves significant time or people power to respond to).

If we decide to make a charge, we will let you know the estimated cost of your request before processing it. You will then be able to decide if you would like to proceed, withdraw or refine your request. We may ask for some or all of the costs to be paid in advance.

Wherever possible, we will try to help you refine your request in such a way that it will not result in a charge. For more information about why the request may be charged, see the Ombudsman’s guideline on charging.

Complaints to be referred to the Ombudsman

If you are unhappy with the response you receive from us, please contact the writer so we can try to resolve your concerns. Alternatively, you can also make an official complaint to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is an impartial entity who will investigate your complaint and make a final ruling.