Follow the health and safety requirements
To gain entry to our wastewater network for any purpose you will need our authorisation first. Examples of activities include:
checking the depth of a manhole
raising or lowering a manhole
making CCTV footage
We will only authorise people who:
meet all the minimum requirements as per our wastewater access request form
follow health and safety procedures that comply with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
have the required immunisations, and
are trained to use a gas detector.
To protect your own health and safety
To ensure we know who is working on our network at any particular time
To ensure that people accessing our network have the proper training and qualifications.
Follow these steps:
1. Confirm you have read and fully understand our manhole opening procedure. Click here to access.
2. Read and fully understand our confined spaces decision tree. Click here to access.
3. Find the manhole ID number:
Go to the GIS map
Enter the site address
Click on the manhole you want to access. The wastewater pipes are red lines, and the manholes are red circles
The pop-up will include the ID number (see image below)
Attach the GIS map to the application.
4. Complete the wastewater access request form or the wastewater connection request form.
5. We will assess your application within 3 working days, and notify you by email.
6. Carry out your work.
7. When the work is done, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Enter the manhole ID number in the subject line
Attach a photo of the closed manhole lid
Confirm that the work is completed