I'm a Resident

Ina mate he tangata tata

Loss of a loved one

If someone close to you has passed away, here’s some help to transfer or close their Watercare account.

An empty park bench overlooking the ocean.

Coping with the loss of someone close to you can be an overwhelming experience. During that time, it’s difficult to call companies to update your loved one’s account details, so we want to make this easier to manage.

Unlike phone, internet and energy accounts, changing a name on a Watercare (or council) account is slightly different, as we often require supporting legal documentation.

Accessing the account balance and making changes

If the property was owned by more than one person, other listed property owners can access the account and make changes. All owners' names will be listed on the account.

Otherwise, you won’t be able to make changes unless you are: a solicitor acting on behalf of the estate, or an executor of the estate (in this instance, we’ll need to sight a copy of the will or a letter from the acting solicitor saying you’re either the executor or nominated trustee).

When you’re ready, please notify us

Simply fill in our form. We’ll handle the rest – you won’t need to speak to anyone.

Note, you’ll need to upload clear scans or photos of:

the extract of the will or a signed letter from your solicitor to confirm you as the executive of the estate.

  • a copy of the death certificate.
  • we’ll notify you once it’s been processed.

When there’s no will

In this circumstance, we won’t be able to action any changes on the account or give you any account information. This is in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020.

Please get in touch so we can classify the account as a deceased estate – this will hold off late fees if applicable (or 3rd party debt collectors).

We suggest you contact your family solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau for free legal assistance.

If you have power of attorney

Power of attorney stops when a person passes away. To access the account, you’ll need to be the nominated executor.

Frequently asked questions

What do I do If I have a joint account with someone who has passed away?
Can I change the mailing and payment information?
No one is living at the property; can you cancel the account?
There is an existing debt on the account, but there is no money in the estate to cover it and I can’t afford to pay – what can I do?