Watercare Services Limited ("Watercare", "we", "us", "our") is committed to respecting your privacy at all times. The purpose of this privacy statement is to outline how we collect, use, store and disclose your personal information to ensure we comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993.
By providing your personal information or using our services, you agree to this privacy statement. If you provide information about any other person, then you must have authorisation from that person to do so.
This privacy statement may change from time to time and we will tell you about any changes, including by posting an updated statement on our website. These changes will take effect from the date we post it, so please ensure you review our privacy statement from time to time.
This privacy statement is subject to and should be read in conjunction with any other terms and conditions you agree to when using or signing up to any of our services.
We welcome any questions, comments or questions you may have. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
What information do we collect?
Information from our website
When you visit or use our website, we collect information including the IP address and phone number of your machine or device, the operating system and the browser your machine or device uses, your browser's general wifi location, the date and time you are visiting and the pages you view.
Information regarding your usage of our website is collected to help us improve and offer the services you need each time you visit and to improve our services generally. We may also use this information to improve our advertising and marketing of related products and services.
Information collected from your general interactions with us
The personal information we may collect includes your:
- name, contact details, date of birth, billing information, address;
- property's ownership status;
- water usage and wastewater usage;
- phone conversations with our staff, which may be recorded;
- email communications, and your written and verbal interactions with us;
- vehicle registration numbers; and
- image (via photograph or film) as you move around our property.
How do we collect your information?
Watercare will collect personal information directly from you when you interact with us over the phone, through email or letter, via our website, when you personally meet with our staff or agents or where you use our services.
We (and any authorised third parties in accordance with this privacy statement) may also collect personal information:
- as part of our recruitment processes;
- when you submit an application for employment or contracting opportunities with us;
- by recording calls you make to our staff;
- through the recording of your image on CCTV footage in and around our property;
- when you subscribe to any Watercare newsletters, participate in surveys, competitions or promotions;
- when you log into our wifi; and
We may also collect your personal information from a third party, such as:
- where you have authorised this;
- a publicly available source;
- a government department, body, or law enforcement agency;
- a service provider; and
- third party providers of cookies and other online tracking systems.
How we use information
We (and any authorised third parties in accordance with this privacy statement) may use your personal information for the following reasons:
- for safety and security purposes;
- to process your transactions and administer your account;
- to help us develop, market, improve, manage, administer and facilitate our services and operations and those of our business partners;
- for internal purposes (such as risk management, staff training and billing);
- to ensure compliance with Watercare policies;
- to meet our legal obligations;
- as part of the investigation and analysis of incidents;
- to contract with authorised individuals;
- for us to notify you of services, opportunities, products or benefits which are being offered by Watercare.;
- to carry out credit checks;
- to carry out pre-employment checks; and
- to conduct market research.
By providing your email address and/or mobile phone number, you consent to us sending you information connected with the above collection and use purposes via email or text message. The messages you receive from us will have instructions for how you can remove yourself from our mailing list.
When we disclose information
Personal information held by Watercare will be accessible by our staff or advisors where it is necessary for that staff member or advisor to carry out their duties.
Watercare will not disclose personal information to third parties except where:
- you have authorised such disclosure;
- Watercare is required to provide the information by law;
- disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to health, security or safety;
- disclosure was the purpose of collecting the information (such as where we disclose information to credit agencies);
- the source of the information was a publicly available source;
- it is necessary to facilitate the sale, disposal, assignment or transfer of Watercare or any of its assets or subsidiaries or related companies;
- disclosure is required by our contractors (for the purposes of the services they provide), so that we can complete a transaction on your behalf or provide you with a service that you have requested;
- disclosure is necessary to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you and to optimise the advertisements on our websites;
- disclosure is necessary to market, review or improve our services or facilities or those of the Auckland Council, in which cases we will disclose the information to the Auckland Council;
- it is necessary for a function of Watercare, such as for legal or auditing purpose.
How we store and protect your information
Watercare will take all reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We have a range of physical and technology policies in place to provide a robust security environment. We ensure the on-going adequacy of these measures by regularly reviewing them.
Communications over the internet, such as emails, are not secure, unless they have been encrypted. We may and we may allow third parties to monitor our network for security and information assurance purposes.
How you can access your information
Reasonable steps to ensure any personal information held by Watercare is accurate will be taken. Any request by an individual to correct personal information held about that individual will be responded to as soon as is practicable following receipt of such a request.
You may obtain confirmation as to whether or not personal information is held about you. You may also request access to, or a copy of, the information and/or request that corrections or changes are made to it. In accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act, within 20 working days of receiving a request we will a) decide whether the request is to be granted and, if so, in what manner and for what charge (if any); and b) give or post a notice of the decision on the request to you.
Watercare will disclose personal information to the relevant individual about whom the information relates where it can be readily retrieved, unless there is good reason (in accordance with the Privacy Act) for not doing so, including where such a disclosure would breach someone else’s rights to privacy and / or the law.
To request your personal information, of if you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org